This is the first time I heard about the concept of Seventh Generation Sustainability. I think this idea sounds like an extremely long-term goal. The seven generations are a very long time, and no one can guarantee what will happen or change in the seven generations. In this era, everyone is responsible for the future, from small things to things that affect the whole country, including the environment, education, and wealth, so many behaviors of contemporary people do affect the future. Personally, the environment has the most direct impact on me. I can do my best to protect the environment and contribute to the future environment. Back to the original idea, I think this idea is a bit unrealistic. The article says that seven generations are equivalent to 140 years. In 140 years, no one can imagine what the world will look like, where they will go, and what they have. It is unknown. If a plan is planned now, there is a great possibility that it will be forgotten to be changed or even helpless in the future. All we can do is to help the next generation with the power of what we can. Many people in modern times are self-centered. They don’t think too much but live in the present. Give yourself the best of everything, maybe the future can’t be easily changed. There are also some people who will do their best for future generations. They also have long-term goals and even spend many years to complete. I think that sometimes the existence of future generations will inspire many people’s creativity, they want to create something that is good for future generations, and provide the best for them to use.
– start seedlings by adding soil to each hole then planting seeds of your choice.
– get organized by using each hole to organize jewelry and beads or tools like nuts and bolts.
– use as packing materials.
– donate to local farmers.
– get organized by using jars for spices and dry goods.
– drink water.
– make an outdoor windproof candle by adding a beeswax votive to a heat resistant glass jar.
Used Tea Bags
– relieve puffy eyes.
– put the bags in the refrigerator then placing them on insect bites or burns.
– to help enrich the soil.
– A silver metal jewelry box
– I can put pieces of jewelry such as ring, earring, or necklace; or other small staff such as beads, coins inside the box. The jewelry box has a vintage style, and I like the pattern and texture of the box. It is a good decoration piece placing at home. As a fashion design student, we always have photoshoots in a specific theme; this object can be used in vintage style and become a stage property.
– Initially, this material can keep for a very long time, I already have it for nearly four years, and it’s a gift form my friend. As long as I don’t break it and avoid touching water, I can keep it for more than ten years. If once the leg or the top lid of the box break, I can use the 3D pen as I talked about last time, to repair the detail or build new parts to make it work. Maybe the result can be fascinating. So that I can make sure the material is environmental friendly instead of using toxic glue.
– I think this object is more related to the material system. I think it can be reused after melting the material and form it into something new. Scrap metal products are recyclable. Metal recycling refers to the physical or mechanical processing of useful materials separated from scrap metal into recycled products. It is an industrial chain from recycling, dismantling, to recycling.
– Use egg carton as a color palette
– Make a palette for paints by using each hole for a different color. This can be a new experience or technique for people who love to paint. I can use this method when drawing fashion illustrations. Try to imagine the final result after many times, maybe in the end, it will become a piece of colorful artwork. If you are satisfied with the look, it can even become a container where you put things inside each hole.
– Egg cartons can be used for many times as you overlap colors after its dry so that the colors won’t be mixed together. Be aware to avoid water so that it’s always hard. Avoid putting heavy things on top of the egg carton to keep the shape. Instead of directly throwing away, it fully expresses the functionally in such a unique way.
– This practice can reduce the use of plastic (the standard white plastic palette), and the waste of egg cartons. A common household waste item is the egg carton – it’s waste that, in many cases, doesn’t need to be taking space in the landfill. An egg carton may be made from plastics such as Styrofoam or recycled paper and molded pulp. One way to make your egg consumption a little more environmentally friendly is to ensure you buy eggs in paper-based packaging as Styrofoam is difficult to recycle. Additionally, as the waste in landfills is buried, decomposition occurs in an anaerobic environment, which is one without oxygen. Microbes that thrive in anaerobic conditions give off potent greenhouse gases such as methane as they digest the material. Methane has a Global Warming Potential (GWP) 62 times that of carbon dioxide.
– Use the second-hand cloth to create something new and useful / buy second-hand cloth as a replacement of expensive new clothes that uses new materials
– Many people throw away clothes because of the “trend” as time passes, many good clothes became “garbage.” We can use those clothes and make them into new clothes, bags, and many things, even tablecloth, so that provides them a second life. In the fashion industry, people take this problem very seriously. I can use this idea as an inspiration to design and practice, also help with the fashion industry. I do interested in sustainable design as in fashion design major; this would help me to design and make a collection of garments in the future.
– Over the next ten years, it is hard to make the fast fashion industry disappear, even reduce the number of second-hand clothes. As many people care about this situation, I think over time passes; more people would like to joy this practice. Then people will come up with new ideas to attract people and to make it better.
– This has a significant impact on the environment, water, air, energy, and materials. The second-hand clothing industry’s environment benefits range from fewer carbon emissions to saving water and reducing waste. The exporting used textiles result in an estimated annual net savings of 190,000 tons of CO2 and reduce water consumption by 70 million cubic meters (18 billion gallons) due to the offset production of new textiles and materials. A garment that is purchased through the second-hand market reduces the need to manufacture a new item and thus saves resources. Synthetic fibers like polyester require lots of energy and oil inputs to synthesize the fibers. Similarly, for fabrics that are made from plants, like cotton and flax (used to make linen), millions of gallons of water and tons of harmful pesticides are needed to grow the crops, while the manufacture of clothing from these fibers also has numerous hazardous impacts.
Fong On tofu
I visited Fong On last week. I saw a lot of people waiting in line when I arrived there. All the food was written on the wall. There was a large piece of glass in the middle to directly see the people who made the tofu back in the kitchen. The overall environment was very clean and safe to eat. There are many kinds of food, rice cakes have three flavors, tofu pudding also has sweet and salty, and soy milk. I tasted rice cakes and soy milk, I like it very much. I also chose a salty tofu pudding. To my surprise, it is completely different from the tofu pudding in my memory. But the taste is also delicious. Overall, I think this shop has the potential to be a successful long life business because they use different flavors to satisfy different people, they are still innovating different kinds of food. I can see people’s enthusiasm for the food in this store and believe in the hygiene of food.