I wanted to tell a story that the New York streets are very busy. I added frames to separate the aspects in time, and the order of the photos are the order of time I took the photos of.
Also, I used a scene to scene transitions to show different sidewalks and backgrounds.
I made recorded sounds from my dorm.
The first box is a texture of the jeans I was wearing.
The second box is a texture of Korean traditional pattern.
The red box is a texture of Korean traditional dress Hanbok.
The peach box is a texture of my forehead.
The water pattern box is a texture of water to express rain water.
I’ve always wanted to make a necklace of my own, and the rings were the first idea that came into my head. So I decided to make the necklace out of circles, and then give some points from ring to ring to make it look not so simple.
I had a hard time thinking of how to make a crown. The cardboard wouldn’t bend easily, so I cut many triangles and tried to make it into a circle.
I decided to take pictures of Union Square because I walk past it everyday.
We turned a magazine/brand name into money.
Brand names and logos
untitled-1 get the names and of the logos
untitled-2 smash them together
buildings, roads, technology
schools, public parks
preform of cash
cash in different countries/colors
composition – one of the most important elements of photography
– more important than how out of focus the background is
Bokeh – lets you obsess about something insignificant, but often makes for lazy
Henri Cartier-Bresson, Richard Avedon, William Eggleston, Alfred Eisenstaedt
- photographers not obsessed with the shallowest depth of field
- iconic photographers capable of iconic photographs built on the foundations of masterful compositions and superb timing
+ Not every rule of composition can work well with every scene – composition helps bring balance
abstract concepts and theories
Frame within a Frame
- literal frame or just the edge of screen
- help add context, meaning, or depth to photo – especially when related to subject
- create more immediate sense of focus on subject
- add three dimensional element to an otherwise flat scene
- keep the exposure and focus on subject – use foreground that is darker than back
The Gestalt – Principles or Gestaltism
- Gestalt ( shape or form ) Psychology – explain how we perceive things and organize in brain
Figure / Ground
- most basic compositional device : constant visual simulation tend to differentiate a form from its surroundings
- perception of figure can depend on multiple characteristics including color or contrast ex) The Vase
- color can be used to create separation : complimentary colors
Chiaroscuro + Negative Space
- Chiaroscuro : art of using strong contrast between light and dark
- Negative Space : produce silhouette, drawing attention to subject, or positive space
Proximity and Grouping
Symmetry and Balance
Continuity and Leading Lines
- since subject isn’t completely in frame, brain will try to fill in details
Grouping, balance, continuity