The first box is a texture of the jeans I was wearing.
The second box is a texture of Korean traditional pattern.
The red box is a texture of Korean traditional dress Hanbok.
The peach box is a texture of my forehead.
The water pattern box is a texture of water to express rain water.
I’ve always wanted to make a necklace of my own, and the rings were the first idea that came into my head. So I decided to make the necklace out of circles, and then give some points from ring to ring to make it look not so simple.
I had a hard time thinking of how to make a crown. The cardboard wouldn’t bend easily, so I cut many triangles and tried to make it into a circle.
I decided to take pictures of Union Square because I walk past it everyday.
We turned a magazine/brand name into money.
Brand names and logos
untitled-1 get the names and of the logos
untitled-2 smash them together
buildings, roads, technology
schools, public parks
preform of cash
cash in different countries/colors
composition – one of the most important elements of photography
– more important than how out of focus the background is
Bokeh – lets you obsess about something insignificant, but often makes for lazy
Henri Cartier-Bresson, Richard Avedon, William Eggleston, Alfred Eisenstaedt
- photographers not obsessed with the shallowest depth of field
- iconic photographers capable of iconic photographs built on the foundations of masterful compositions and superb timing
+ Not every rule of composition can work well with every scene – composition helps bring balance
abstract concepts and theories
Frame within a Frame
- literal frame or just the edge of screen
- help add context, meaning, or depth to photo – especially when related to subject
- create more immediate sense of focus on subject
- add three dimensional element to an otherwise flat scene
- keep the exposure and focus on subject – use foreground that is darker than back
The Gestalt – Principles or Gestaltism
- Gestalt ( shape or form ) Psychology – explain how we perceive things and organize in brain
Figure / Ground
- most basic compositional device : constant visual simulation tend to differentiate a form from its surroundings
- perception of figure can depend on multiple characteristics including color or contrast ex) The Vase
- color can be used to create separation : complimentary colors
Chiaroscuro + Negative Space
- Chiaroscuro : art of using strong contrast between light and dark
- Negative Space : produce silhouette, drawing attention to subject, or positive space
Proximity and Grouping
Symmetry and Balance
Continuity and Leading Lines
- since subject isn’t completely in frame, brain will try to fill in details
Grouping, balance, continuity
We both told our own stories of shift, and made collages out of them. I made my partner’s collage by expressing shift of this major; he changed his major from business to fashion. He made my collage using my story of my shift of places to places. We put our collages together, and we connected the two of them with words that contain New York. We both ended up in New York even though we made collages about different shifts.