Final Project process

I started out by sketching the design of the water bottle based on the idea of cell’s organic form. All the sketches have a round hovering base and are all made out of aluminium, which are the two key components of my water bottle.

To truly understand the concept of hovering, I planned an experiment with the electromagnetic levitation device that I have been working on since the beginning of the semester. The design of my device was based on a instruction guide that I found on instructables.com

The floater shown in the guide has two electromagnets inside, one at the bottom and one at top, and it is running on two Full H Bridge IC; but the anti-gravitational force created by the device in the guide is too weak, so I added two more electromagnets (placing them side to side) and one more Full H Bridge IC too increate the anit-gravitational force.

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 9.02.31 AM Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 3.37.02 AM

 

For the typography, I created my own font called the EMWA font for my logo, which contains only 4 letters – a, e, m, and w. I designed the font based on the futuristic geometric shapes of spaceship. I also chose to use Helvetica Neue for its clean and slim look for the rest of the contents on my website.

 

After coming up with a final sketch for my water bottle, I constructed a 3D version of it in Maya.

I then exported the 3D model to Illustrator and started to create frames for my website’s gif animations.

Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 11.11.55 AM

 

 

I combined the frames that I created in Illustrator in Photoshop to create gif animations.

Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 12.23.43 PM

 

 

I also cut some clips from a Discovery show about whale hunt and created a video for my website in Premiere Pro

Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 3.55.44 AM

After finishing making all the visual components for my website, I then started to code the html, css, and javascript to create a functioning website with user experience (UX).

 

The process of making the website for my project, “Earth Mineral Water”, was both challenging and enjoyable. Making the magnetic levitation device was frustrating, I spent a lot of time searching for tutorials online to complete the device. The 3D program, Maya, was confusing when I first used it to make my water bottle’s model, but I got more familiar with the program throughout the process. After all, I really enjoyed creating a branding identity for my science fictional bottled water.

Leave a reply

Skip to toolbar