A meditative film about our relationship with sound and the impact of noise on our lives.
Soon silence will have passed into legend…
from the kickstarter project:
ABOUT THE FILM
In Pursuit of Silence is a meditative film about silence, our relationship with sound, and the impact of noise on our lives. In our race towards modernity, amidst all the technological innovation and the rapid growth of our cities, silence is now quickly passing into legend. From the Desert Fathers of the third century AD who became the model for Christian monasticism to John Cage’s seminal work 4’33” which would go onto inspire a generation of artists, humankind has had a long fascination with silence. In Pursuit of Silence will be the first comprehensive look at this topic whose many dimensions lie at the heart of so much of human progress. Offering audiences a contemplative cinematic experience, the sights and sounds of this film will work its way through frantic minds, into the quiet spaces of hearts, and help shape a new vision of being.
The film intends to explore the following:
- Silence as perceived by different cultures
- The dimensions of silence and how we perceive it
- The benefits of silence from a psychological, neurological, spiritual perspective
- The basic science of sound, how we perceive it, how it influences us
- Noise pollution and its negative effects on health, cognitive development, autism, our general perception of the world around us
- Solutions to noise pollution (i.e. city planning, product design, architecture)
- Hearing loss and other diseases related to hearing and sound