Bridge 5: Self-Reflections
Students analyze their design process in each bridge assignment, mapping out any consistencies and shifts in their process. In Seminar, students write a reflective paper that will inform an Infographic created in the studio. Students do a Learning Portfolio presentation to illustrate the ways in which their design process transformed throughout the semester. Include images of your design process for each project, and a more extensive section at the end of the presentation explaining Bridge 4
In Bridge 1: Memoir
Bridge 1 is about AR. First, I memorize that 3 objects which represent past, current and the future. At first, I choose a necklace to represent my current. However, I find out that actually, the camera is the most representable object for me because I am in photography major and the first impression of my friends and classmates in high school to me is taking pictures. In this case, I changed the camera to the necklace. In addition, a panda is my favourite toy in my childhood, it also represents China. I want to travel alone by driving, to see a lot of different place in the word and bring a camera to take pictures. This is my dream.
Bridge 2: Contestational Artifacts
This is a peer work, to make an object for my partner. I choose strawberry which represents her favourite fruit, And black is her favourite colour and outlook. However, it can not connect with the audience, and can not communicate with them. In this case, I put some clay beside my sculpture, in this case, the audience can use the clay to create their own project.
In this project, in the beginning, all the things went fluently, because I edit it before. However, when we display this video, I there is some mistake such as the title is not clear enough to see, the order of voice over is not good. So the presentation is not good. In this case, I renew the video. After this project, I know that I need to check my project before my presentation
In this project ,I if I have enough time, I can try the more times in shooting the film camera and digital one. In this case I can compare and contrast the their qualities. However, my final pecies is also good to show the quality of the film camera which is high contrast, better color and more artist. However, it is good for me to take film camera to undersand to the techuqie of using a film camera. It is the first time for me to trying it. Therefore, I learning a lot about using the camera and the setting of camera. I am happy to finish this project.
I think at the beginning, I do not really understand how the studio and seminar connect with each other, however, though the time past, I understand that actually seminar is kind of individual course, although the title of our project is same, the whole stuff is totally different. The seminar is most like to write and develop the idea. Moreover, I think it is useful for me to take these classes. It makes me think about the background of my project and the deeper meaning of them. In this case, I can create more meaningful projects. Moreover, in this class, I understand how to use words to describe my work, how to make a magazine and the development of the essay. Actually, the final essay that we wrote, I didn’t write that much page before, I think it is also one of my improves in this class. But I don’t really know the connection of some assignments such as the create our own magic, I don’t know if it connects to the bridges. Maybe, I think we can focus more on our bridges. It can make it easier to undersand our main project. But the whole class is really meaningful and useful for me.
For this project, I set two studios to take pictures, one is for the objects, apple, and pomegranate. The other is for the portrait. This project is for testing the quality of a film camera, Canon AE-1. Base one I can not develop a film camera in school, I sent it to the professional place to develop it. I scan it by myself at school. In the beginning, I try to compare can contrast the film camera and the digital one. However, since I didn’t take pictures by a film camera before, in this case, it is hard for me to make the same setting can control the light. So finally I change my idea to just take a film camera.
The Big Apple is a nickname for New York City. Pomegranate means family in China. So I cut the pomegranate indicates a broken family. And I researched how to use a scanner and how to develop the film camera.
- Objectives and goals of the new design: Taking pictures by using a film camera to show its qualities of it. And the topic of my project is Lost in the Big Apple.
- Budget and schedule: My budget is about 100 dollar for film rolls and developing it.
- Target audience: My audiences are professors and my classmates.
- Scope of the project: Object Photography & Portrait Photography
- Available materials/required materials: Film camera AE-1, Film roll, scanner.
- Overall style/look: The contrast of colours.
I think if I have enough time, I can try the more times in shooting the film camera and digital one. In this case I can compare and contrast the their qualities. However, my final pecies is also good to show the quality of the film camera which is high contrast, better color and more artist. However, it is good for me to take film camera to undersand to the techuqie of using a film camera. It is the first time for me to trying it. Therefore, I learning a lot about using the camera and the setting of camera. I am happy to finish this project.
Because of the school’s darkroom cannot be used, I change my topic to do a book which compares digital camera and film camera. I shoot the same objects, landscapes and people by using Canon AF-1 and Canon 6D in the same setting. Both of the cameras are very popular and famous in this case, I can compare their quality fairly. I think it will be good to use a book to show it.
- I use clear colorless acrylic round rods as a structure to form dodecahedrons. And use steel wire to connect all the rods and add black straw between them to increase friction. Then I cut plastic boards and contour mesh into dodecahedrons. (the contour mesh one is one inch larger than the plastic one) Then I use a drill to make a hole in each side to the plastic boards, then use contour mesh to cover the plastic boards and use round head paper fasteners to connect each piece. I also use fasteners to connect each piece of plastic boards.
- Scale & Proportion (: measurement skill)
- Negative space & Positive Form (: shows more 3-D volume?)
- Negative space: The main material for the negative space are plastic boards and contour mesh. The whole structure is a flower shape. I add two layers to show a more 3-dimensional volume.
- Positive Form: acrylic rods and wire are the main materials to create positive form.
- Since the negative part and positive part are used totally different methods and materials, the whole project has a different texture which shows a more 3-dimensional volume.
- Problem solving:( joining method, structure, materials….)
- It is hard that joining two acrylic rods together by using wires. Because the acrylic rods are too smooth to connect. So I decided to use black straws to increase friction.
- The plastic broad is hard to cut by scissors and I don’t have the orientation of laser cutting workshop. So it took me a while to cut the plastic broads.
- I use wire to connect each acrylic rods and each unites to make a pattern
- I think the flower shape is good, and I decide to add a light inside the work to let it become lamps shade. Its transparent texture can be shown perfectly though light.
- Working process /Developing idea
- I tried a lot of materials before I’ve chosen this one. Moreover, when I develop the negative space I change a lot of shapes.
- Time management:
- My time management is good, I finish all the materials on time.
Link 3 sources:
1. On photography
- Publisher:Picador USA : Farrar, Straus and Giroux
- ISBN: 0312420099
At the first time to display it, it had a lot of mistakes. The world is not clear, the fourth part is in vertical not as same as others and the voice over is not in the right order. I think I need to check the video before I post it. So next time, before submitting any video, I need to see it and check it first. I really like the intro of the video, it has a lot of energy and follows the music pace. I think it is one of the most successful parts of our video.