- I use clear colorless acrylic round rods as a structure to form dodecahedrons. And use steel wire to connect all the rods and add black straw between them to increase friction. Then I cut plastic boards and contour mesh into dodecahedrons. (the contour mesh one is one inch larger than the plastic one) Then I use a drill to make a hole in each side to the plastic boards, then use contour mesh to cover the plastic boards and use round head paper fasteners to connect each piece. I also use fasteners to connect each piece of plastic boards.
- Scale & Proportion (: measurement skill)
- Negative space & Positive Form (: shows more 3-D volume?)
- Negative space: The main material for the negative space are plastic boards and contour mesh. The whole structure is a flower shape. I add two layers to show a more 3-dimensional volume.
- Positive Form: acrylic rods and wire are the main materials to create positive form.
- Since the negative part and positive part are used totally different methods and materials, the whole project has a different texture which shows a more 3-dimensional volume.
- Problem solving:( joining method, structure, materials….)
- It is hard that joining two acrylic rods together by using wires. Because the acrylic rods are too smooth to connect. So I decided to use black straws to increase friction.
- The plastic broad is hard to cut by scissors and I don’t have the orientation of laser cutting workshop. So it took me a while to cut the plastic broads.
- I use wire to connect each acrylic rods and each unites to make a pattern
- I think the flower shape is good, and I decide to add a light inside the work to let it become lamps shade. Its transparent texture can be shown perfectly though light.
- Working process /Developing idea
- I tried a lot of materials before I’ve chosen this one. Moreover, when I develop the negative space I change a lot of shapes.
- Time management:
- My time management is good, I finish all the materials on time.
Link 3 sources:
1. On photography
- Publisher:Picador USA : Farrar, Straus and Giroux
- ISBN: 0312420099
At the first time to display it, it had a lot of mistakes. The world is not clear, the fourth part is in vertical not as same as others and the voice over is not in the right order. I think I need to check the video before I post it. So next time, before submitting any video, I need to see it and check it first. I really like the intro of the video, it has a lot of energy and follows the music pace. I think it is one of the most successful parts of our video.
How to do this magic:
Firstly, prepare a piece of paper, then divide it into nine parts. Give one piece to the audience and let him/her make a mark on the pieces. And put these pieces into the other eight pieces and choose the one that he/she marked. The important point is how to divide the paper. First, divide the right 1/3, then put it in the middle Then divide the left 1/3 and put it on the top of the left part. The divide the right1/3 and put it on number 4 piece, and divide left 1/3 on the top of piece 7. Then you can find out that number 5 is at the bottom. Then put number 5 on the top. This is the piece that the audience marked. This is the only one that all the edges are coarse.
This magic uses a little trick of the little differences in those pieces. Just one of those pieces is totally different than others. And these slight difference cannot notice. So this magic is very easy to apply. Just use a little bit of skill to divide the magic.
Today is the first day of Chesa’s spring break. She decides to have a meaningful trip with her girlfriend, Mary. This is her Plan.
After breakfast, Chesa and Mary go to the LGBT. They as volunteers of LGBT in the art department for a long time. They have a lot of friends over there. And Their job is taking photos for the coming event which is a melodrama called Hamlet.
After that, Chesa goes to the Chelsea Market with her girlfriend. They buy a lot of seafood. Lobster is Mary’s favourite. In Chelsea Market, they not only can find seafood but also could buy a bunch of fresh ingredients for their dinner. Chesa decides to do a dinner for Mary.
Chesa wants to find some inspirations for her project. So she decides to see some galleries and take some pictures. There is a lot of artwork over there. Moreover, a lot of artists open studio over there. Some of them are Chesa’s friends. So she not only can find inspirations but also can visit her friends.
At the same time, Mary goes to Chelsea Flea Market which evolved a lot of sell antiques, collectables, decorative arts, clothing, jewellery, and many other types of antiques.
They sleep together in Chesa’s apartment which is near the Penn station.
Chesa and Mary get up for about 7 o’clock. They go to the Penn station to take a train to the Newark Airport. It is the cheapest way to go to the airport from Manhattan.
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3|
|morning||LGBT volunteer||Gallary (Chesa)
Chelsea Flea Market (Mary)
The Myth of the Gargoyle
Underneath the structure of the St Mary’s Magdalene church in London lays a secret society of protectors of the city, the order of the Gargoyles. For centuries they have been entrusted with the protection of the city from all forms of harm and with due diligence they have been carrying out their work.
Adam, the overall leader of the group has a special seat right in front of the large display screen that shows all the activities of the city. The broadcast being received and deciphered by the other members of the team, owing to the new development of technology, their task of protecting the city has become relatively easy as each statue of a gargoyle that’s on top of most buildings within the city has a camera that monitors all the activities that occur on the streets while there is a guardian right next to the statue ready for action. The team is always in constant communication with state of the art communication phones and wireless radios.
But getting to their hideout isn’t an easy task; there are secret doors that are hidden in plain sight with the aid of the latest technology. There are optical scanners that would allow one access in addition to the physical security that is always around the vicinity of the church. Adam always carries around his laser weapon with him just in case a scouting situation turns ugly since the population of the city of London is growing. As much as he is a law keeper he tries as much to avoid harming any human beings while conducting his work.
Thornton, Elise. “Gargoyles: Demons in the Sky or Grotesque Guardian Angels?” #FolkloreThursday, 23 Aug. 2016, folklorethursday.com/material-culture/gargoyles-demons-sky-grotesque-guardian-angels/.
2. Submit all your notes here (typed); some guiding question are below but feel free to add more to this discussion
Editor do: cut great
the editor is good for the director.
create a story
What were some editing techniques you found interesting? intriguing?
I think the editor can make a boring screen to become interesting. And when an editor is editing the shoot can create a story. And you can see the possibilities of the shoot. It is a new language.
Which techniques do you think could help you edit your documentary? why?
I think I can use the skill of slow down the time and speed up it. Moreover, I can add the narrator of the video.
3. Select 3 techniques and find an example of each in movies; explain each technique in writing (one paragraph) and add a clip of the movie that you are using as an example to represent each technique.
In a film, Lucy is used a lot of editing techniques: speed up, speed down and mute the sound. At the beginning of the story, at 00:02:06, the editor shoot the street of HongKong. it is used speed up to create a busy feeling of the city. at 00:03:00, the editor mute the sound and give a shoot of the first human “Lucy”. It creates a very creepy feeling of it. And the moving of the frame is not fluent also create this feeling. Moreover at 00:22:00, there is a sense that cut a bunch of disasters together, the editor uses both speeds up and speeds down together to create this sense.
From the exhibition,Behind the Screen, select 3 videos and compare them to respond the following question:
1. what is the story told in each video?
The first one is the talk show of a frog.
The second one is a video period of a dinosaur invades someone’s house.
The third one is a lady taking a bus with her friends and sing.
2. how is the story constructed? is it linear? non-linear?
All of them is linear.
3. Are there any similarities amongst them?
I think they are totally different the first one is a carton, the second one is
4. Any differences?
Their topic, audience, and shooting technique is different
From the installation, The GIF Elevator:
1. how these installation pieces made you feel?
It is a recycle, it is very interesting to see the image repeating again and again.
2. Did you have a strong reaction to one in particular? describe your experience/how it made you feel
When I saw it for a long time it makes me feel dizzy.
I am a big sister of Jia Ying. I am one of her closest friend that she love. And I am the one that take care of her. In the family, we play together. We always draw, read a book, play computer games. I am also her teacher. I always teach my sister math. She is very bad at it. However, when she studies math, she can not focus on it. It seems like a little bit hard for her. She always asks me how to fix this problem. I usually can fix it. However, sometimes the math questions of primary school also hard to do with. Thus, when the question is hard for me, I always told my sister to fix the question my herself. It is not my business. And I will fix them on my own after I find it out, I will tell my sister the solutions. I don’t like talking but my sister always has something to speak. In this case, I always listen to her to talk about the thing that happened in her school. It is kind of interesting in listening to my sister’s daily life. Moreover, she always shares her food with me. She always gets some snake from her school, and she brings them to home and shares with me. I feel very happy at that time. In addition, my sister is good at singing and drawing. She has talented in it. Moreover, she has a lot of interests in it. I think it is a good thing to have her own interests. I love my sister very much. When I come back to my hometown, my sister is the first one that I want to see. She is one of the most important persons in my life. I love her.
- Can you share a piece of your memory which is happy?
- Which animal do you like? Why?
- Where did you study in high school? Can you share your experience?
- What do you want to do in the future? Is it related to your major?
- What fruit do you like? Does it have special meaning?
- Which sports do you like? why? Will you be relaxed when you do it?
- What challenges did you face in New York?
- Which colour do you like? Why?
- When you are in a strange place what will you do?
- What do you prefer? Stay alone or with a friend? Why?
The Sketch that I draw:
My question is about my partner’s past, current, and future. The past can let me know about my partner’s personal experience. In this case, it gives me the information about which things are important to her. Then, I ask a lot about her favourites such as her favourite animal, colour, fruit, and sports. I can make objects which base on her preference. The reaction what she is in a strange place can represent her own personalities. When I ask about her expectations of the future, I want to know her thought of herself development. She wants to have her own clothing brand. It indicates that maybe she wants to develop the fashion area. Because right now she is in photography major. If she needs to create her own brand, I think she will learn a lot about the fashion area. The question that I am interested in “What is your most memorable memory in united states.” Because America is totally new to me. I will face a lot of unknowable problem in a new situation.
After I learn about my partner, I find out that she is a cool girl who is like black. When she faced a difficult situation, she can get the solution quickly and be calm. I am also a homesick person, sometimes I very miss my family. All the time, after I make a phone call with my parents, I feel very sad and miss them. I think it happens a lot between international students. Because we live far away from our hometown. Sometimes I also prefer to stay alone. Because school life is very hard for me. I have classes, finish my homework. I also improve my filming skills. In this case, sometimes staying lone makes me feel relaxed. Newyork is a busy city. It has quick pease. It is good to slow down and keep myself alone.
I will make a wood felt black strawberry. Because strawberry is her favourite fruits. My partner also picked strawberry by herself when she was in China. In the interview, she said:” I like strawberry, and I will go to pick strawberries every strawberry season.” And Black is her favourite colour. She thinks ” black is a classic colour that never goes out of style.” It also shows her personalities. Moreover, She prefers to be alone. It shows that she is a very independent people. In this case, strawberry represents herself. I will make two leaves, the first one is green and leaf stalk will be red. Red is the colour of the Chinese national flag. So it represents that when My partner was in China she is happy and she lived in China for a long time. The other leave is smaller and yellow because when she is in America she fell very homesick and miss her mother.”I am homesick; I always miss my family, and I have to talk to my Mom in facetime every day, to tell her what happened to me that day.” Moreover, the leaf stalk is blue which the main colour of the American of the national flag. the strawberry flower will be white, My partner prefers to stay alone which indicate that she needs blank time for herself to relax and do what every she what. ” I prefer to be alone mostly because I think being alone makes me more comfortable and freer. ” The material that I will use is clay. It has a soft texture which also can represent my partner’s personality.
Moreover, I create a bunch of leaves and Leaf still with different colour and shape. To let the audience create their own.
In this project, I think what I need to improve is that I need to have a better one and show more detail of the stuff that I did. Moreover, maybe make some blank space which allows the audience to make their own strawberry and leaves. It can let the audience have connections with my project. Moreover. I can have more delicate detail about planning the process of our work. In this case, I can manage my time better. However, I think the whole project is successful to show. The sculpture is very beautiful. I pretty like this project.