Apologies for this being a bit late, but to be fair it took longer than was expected to upload all of this. Let’s begin!
This post is here to review the process and finished product in half-scale form I created of my hanging sleeve attire inspired by not only the history of this sleeve, but its correlation with mother and child bonding as well as the decor of my own nursery as a small infant.
At first my design was merely a collection of knowledge from previous studio sessions in pattern making. Without these patterns, I would have remained clueless as to how I should go about drafting let alone sewing a hanging sleeve.
Here we have my: basic (full and half scale) sleeve patterns, alongside my half scale, puff, raglan, kimono, cap, bell, and dolman sleeve patterns; and at the end of my process book a pouch just for the collared shirt pattern coming up, miscellaneous bodices and sleeves from homework such as……
my stuffed arms; and obviously the pattern for my hanging sleeve garment as well! (Both half scale, and full scale).
Furthermore, I decided to test out some ideas not only on the form itself but off the form on paper by means of speed draping and sketches, design ideas.
After all of this I decided I would research into not only how to make these different techniques of sleeves based on past notes, but I also went ahead and wrote down all the research I could find on the sleeves I was interested in making as well…and at the end created a concept statement for the direction I was heading towards aesthetically.
After all this I asked my family to look through old photos of my own personal nursery growing up and send them to me for icon, pattern, textile, or color inspiration. As a result, I found that: aqua, pink, cream, rocking horses, and stuffed bunnies were all the rage.
Once I gathered all of my research, I was required to focus on a word or words from a vocabulary bank we were given as a class. My chosen words were sustainability and traditional. Sustainable, through the use of post-consumer fabric (scrap fabric), and traditional; through the method of embroidery or embellishment. Which I experimented with of course.
After all this dyeing of: avocado skins and pits (pink, orange), purple cabbage and baking soda (blue), and mint leaves (yellow); I realized not only how time consuming and complex dyeing is- but also, how deceptive. Once dyed, my used muslin was a vibrant shade, once dried; a pale and washed out hue to my dismay.
I ended by putting my intelligence to the applied test of acquired tactile skill, and not only cut out my pattern and fabric pieces through sewing, but stayed within the boundaries of both traditional and sustainable by employing only previously used muslin pieces and natural dye; as well as incorporating appliqué badges of rocking horse and bunny imagery. At the end of all this, I illustrated my technical flat and called it a day after writing a short reflection.
Hope you enjoyed it!