To start off I want to mention that sewing has never been my best skill. Some people have an innate ability to be very technical and precise with the way they interact and grasp concepts. Others as myself tend to be on the side of a visionary, grasping big pictures, or processing multiple ideas, but fail to see the finer details. When sewing, it is not that I do not understand how to maneuver the machine. It is not that I do not understand basic concepts in hand-stitching; or various seam techniques, etc. It is just that no matter how many times I try; it seems in this department I always end up having to try ten times harder than my peer. It seems that my head might need to come out of the clouds and back to earth. This semester taught me that although, I may be one step behind; I am still determined. Slow and steady, I am not in a rush; and am here to learn, and although I may not be the best student in this department, I certainly do the best I can; as far as making an effort, regardless of how it may be perceived.
When creating my final jacket, initially I wanted to reflect back on a jacket of some significance to me, the pattern goes back to a traumatic event; where the garment itself was all that I was allowed to keep. (If a couple of key photos are missing in this post, apologies; it is not that I do not have them, but much of it is packed up for a moving process today). I started off by sketching out a concept of my croquis, with a detailed pencil sketch; and I brought in a few swatches. I decided upon a blue raincoat material of nylon and grey knit jersey for the inside. The outside of it was proposed to be painted in various blues and streaks of silver to denote the weepy sadness this jacket of significance caused my life endure. The only issue was after several prototype attempts, my toile for the shell and my final for the shell were all that fully turned out. I have here a few photos of my toile, however; I never thought to take a full photo of my jacket as I did not fully finish it. The only issue that held me back in completing this project, was the lining which I sewed and ripped up and re-assembled three different times to no avail. Although patterns for this project are packed away in storage boxes, the patterns I created showed great improvement on the day of presentation compared to prior work I have done in the past. For the future, and into the summer; my focus is to brush up this innate skill others have that I lack in, and use my time wisely to come close if not master the art of successfully sewing a jacket WITH a lining.