Bowling, Beatniks, and Bell-Bottoms: Pop Culture of 20th- and 21st-Century America, edited by Cynthia Johnson and Lawrence W. Baker, 2nd ed., vol. 1: Gale 2012.
This article covers not only fashion but also popular culture at the moment so one can see the connections and influences between the two.
Mendes, Valerie, and Amy De_La_Haye. 2010. Fashion Since 1900. London: Thames & Hudson.
This is a fashion history book that has information about each era with each chapter talking about the trends of the time alone with historical context of each era.
Muller, Florence. 2016. Yves Saint Laurent – the Perfection of Style. Rizzoli International Publicat.
Yves Saint Laurent is a prominent designer of the era and this book talks about some of his type influences during different decades of his life including the late 1960s to early 1970s.
Silver, Cameron, and Rebecca DiLiberto. Decades: a Century of Fashion. London: Bloomsbury, 2012.
This talks about different decades in fashion history which helps figure out the specific trends for the time period in which the picture was taken.
Turney, Jo. “1970s Style: Key Themes and Trends.” In Fashion Photography Archive. London: Bloomsbury, 2015. Accessed November 03, 2019. http://dx.doi.org.libproxy.newschool.edu/10.5040/9781474260428-FPA200.BE
This provides information about important trends in the 1970s which can be useful when figuring out prominent designers and trends in the 1970s.
YOURSELF! 1968. Harper’s Bazaar. 04, https://login.libproxy.newschool.edu/login?url=https://search-proquest-com.libproxy.newschool.edu/docview/1920643203?accountid=12261 (accessed November 3, 2019).
- Fashion evolves with time. Images such as this one capture a moment in time in which one of the only indicators of a specific time period are the clothes worn in them. This image shows 3 women from my family, my grandma and her older sisters, around the late 1960s early 1970s. The clothes are bold and playful. In this essay I will analyze the trends in the photograph and how they pertain to the society at the time period.
- The clothes in this photograph do not have a particular designer but there are several designers from that time period which can be seen reflected in terms of trends. The third woman can be seen wearing a structured coat which could be the influence of Yves Saint Laurents tailoring ideas at the time. Missoni also had some influence seen in the outfits picture with the the bright collars and large collars.
- There are several styles featured in the picture but I would like to focus on the big collars and the trend of bright colors. The big collar and slightly flared pants make up the first outfit, followed by a pop of bright blue and black gingham pants and lastly a stylized double-breasted coat along with a red skirt falling right above the knee.
- In this image it is clear that women are now wearing pants on a daily basis. It shows a new form of casual wear with women. The bright pops of color can be seen as a liberation of self expression by not needing to blend in. This picture also depicts different styles for different age groups at the time. The two women on the right are older that the one on the right. You can see more of a popular trend influence on the younger one, such as the slightly flared pants and larger collar.
- This image represents various casual outfits in the early 1970s. It is important because one can see different styles and the parts where they differ as well as when they are similar. This image to me is quite powerful because the woman in the picture give off a sense of independence