Below is the SWOT analysis of the following research question:
- I am studying the history of gentrification in East Williamsburg and the experience of five individuals related to (name of the restaurant).
- Because I want to find out the effect gentrification has in (name of the restaurant)’s audience and way of functioning.
- In order for my reader to better understand the impact of East Williamsburg’s gentrification in (name of the business) and how this case could be related to that of other longstanding restaurants in the area.
Note: Even though I have not chosen the restaurant I am going to study yet, I can make assumptions of how it will be. I know the location will be a restaurant near the Morgan Ave station.
- The restaurant I am going to study has its own culture, mission, and values.
- The restaurant has stayed in the area for a long time (before East Williamsburg’s gentrification).
- The restaurant is authentic to East Williamsburg, it is a historical spot.
- The restaurant is located near the Morgan Ave subway station, which is currently a hub for art, culture, and music.
- The restaurant does not offer any “trendy” plates.
- The restaurant is not particularly modern or hipster, as the restaurants near it.
- The prices of the food are not as high as that of their competitors.
- Their authenticity might be a way of staying in competition.
- Their history could be interesting for tour guides of East Williamsburg to show it to tourists.
- The low prices may attract customers.
- They could expand to become a more creative, modern spot.
- The restaurant is located near many new/more “trendy” restaurants. This will make it harder for them to stay in competition.
- The older generations that know the history of the restaurant are being replaced by the younger one.
- Due to the gentrification of the area, when their rent will end, they might not have the enough funds to continue paying rent in a more expensive area.
- If they expand to a more creative, modern spot, they have to be careful to don’t go to far from their values.