stop motion:: PROCESS/STATEMENT [the fisherman and his wife]

Stop motion link here:

Artist Statement: stop-motion-statement

PROCESS::

our process for this project was actually quite complex. after deciding upon the trajectory and story arc of our video, we went about it by first of all illustrating the scenes that we would use in our pop up book.
at this early stage, I worked on illustrating the scenes digitally, and Hsin-Roe worked on the pop-up mechanics.

outline for video::
img_7727

thumbnail sketches::
sketch-pages-stopmotion

after completing the illustrations, it was a matter of arduously printing everything (and make sure we had the correct number of print-outs). this, as we came to realize, was both a painful and expensive progress, as we spent at least 3 trips to the print center agonizing over how much print credit was being spend and why the printers weren’t always responsive.

with all the print-outs ready, we assembled each scene according to the thumbnails of each scene. (refer to sketches above) to speed up the process, i cut out the components, and using the paper-mechanics skills that she had acquired, Hsin-Roe put the book together. in addition to the imagery, we decided to incorporate an element of text into the video as another storytelling device. with our limited chinese reading skills, we pooled our resources to translate the story and pieced it together. hsin-roe used a sliding device to have the text shift throughout the video clips.

a wild hsin-roe appears::
dsc_1798

hsin-roe translates chinese text and puts them into sequential order::
dsc_1799

i pretend to be godzilla, terrorizing one of our completed paper scenes::
img_7775

after completing the book, it was time to create the video. below are a couple of test shots- i found that the camera settings of shutter speed 1/125 and iso 1250, and an aperture of f/4 worked for most of the shots. i changed the settings accordingly for scenes that were blurred or when the lighting would shift (which was rare). in order to block out the background of the studio workspace, we created a background from extra prints of the pale blue sky that we had and glued it to a long strip of cardboard, creating a makeshift set, if you will.

for the final (and first) scene, hsin-roe dressed up as a ‘younger’ version of herself, and i borrowed a plush fish from my friend (named tomato, because of it’s bulbous, round exterior). admittedly, i had the most fun shooting this scene (also, it was the easiest to shoot.

test shot 1::
dsc_0361

test shot 2::
dsc_0382

so, 1,433 pictures, $50++ of print credit, a handful of late nights, and one all-nighter later, we had ourselves a video.
enjoy this snapchat of a sleep-deprived, semi-delirious, brain-fried version of us::
img_7779

Leave a reply

Skip to toolbar