- W 28th Street New York’s music Publishing District, ‘Tin Pan Alley’ 1910. This area was a huge hybrid mix of many cultures, including jewish, african- american and iris-american, that came together to create jazz, dances and comedy that was performed and supported by broadway stars. What led all of these cultures together in the one area?
- Lower Manhattan 1904. At this time lower manhattan was overly crowed thus sparking mass subway transit, beginning with privately operated inter borough Rapid Transit company, these lines opened up new housing in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens. How was a subway system the choice made?
- Riverside Park 1937. Once the new deal was passed mass improvements were made to the parks and recreation facilities through out new york city, including a 148 acres expansion the riverside park. Was there a noticeable difference in quality of life after these addition were made ?
- Lower east side 1960’s. Durning this time activism was very common in the younger college parts of new york, east village, harlem, and Brooklyn, Young Lords took to these areas to clean the streets, organize health screenings and advocated for better conditions. What were the long term effects of the acts done by the Young Lords?
- Flatbush Brooklyn 1990. The African- American community boycotted against the Korean grocers in the area for not treated their people fairly. How have these events effected the area since then ?
There was a lot of cultural data shown such as clothing from the 1920’s or shoes from the 1800’s paired with photographs of the people of the time. Politically there was a lot of social reform over the years, the was shown through fliers and protest/ political art such as a flier made by Keith Haring. Artistic data goes along with cultural but was shown through actual art pieces such as a small jackson pollack painting.
This information was presented to the viewer through words, visuals, sounds, and video. It was a very engaging experience. There were historical explanations that went along with each of the visuals or sounds. These elements and artifacts all combined to give well round information. The reader would read information and then show examples from the time to really show the viewer a peak into a different time.