Project #1: Exoskeleton

Brainstorming/Concept Drawing

Exoskeleton Form Development

When I was working on this project, I’ve realized that working with thin wire could be easy but also challenging when it comes down to twisting the shape you want it to be. working halfway through, I started to notice the fragility of the aluminum foil and how thin of a strip I used to roll. That made me think of using the different densities of the foil. The thicker it is the harder and more stable it is. As I got closer to finishing the model, I tested out by using my arm as the example and realized that it does not fit all the way because it was too tight near the lower arm area. I had to unwire the bottom half of it and use longer strips of aluminum foil and connect them together again. One thing that I still did not completely follow through was the end piece (where my wrist is) because I was not sure whether to incorporate the hand with the arm piece or leave it as it is. In the beginning, I did not think it would look like what I had pictured in my mind but I ended up really enjoying the making of it and the finished piece. Although this was very time consuming, the twenty hours of work was totally worth it.

Prototype 1:

I chose to make this prototype and to only keep one prototype because it was the best representation of the desired armour.

Assignment #4

The purpose of this assignment was to help us with brainstorming the different ideas of forms in a simple way in a short amount of time.

 

Part 1: Sketch 9 motives and elements from your inspiration research about your “body cover” in each box.

Part 2- Select the 6 best motives

• Combine the motives together and see what we could come up with- total 6 combined motives

• Name each drawing based on the motive theme- literal, emotional, sensation, etc.

1.Complexity

2. Flexibility

3.Wavy

4. Strong and weak

5.Messy

6.Conceptual

Part 3- Combine the motives together and see what we could come up with- total 3 combined motives Effectively communicate concepts using points and lines

• The new configuration would be used in your future projects

 

Overall, this grid allowed me to focus more on the abstract side of the body cover more than the actual piece. I got my ideas mainly from the materials that I will be using and also from the mood board. Part 1 really allowed me to pick up the simple idea of the arm appendage. Each grid in part 2 had a dynamic pattern but also had a similarity because I wanted to incorporate the different ways of drawing lines. Lastly, part 3 was where I began to consolidate the abstract patterns with the conceptual design.

 

Process on the Final Piece –> Beginning till End in order from left to right.

Video:

IMG_5897.TRIM-19g235j

 

Phase One: Research and form development:

Assignment #1 – phase one-1citchi

Leave a reply

Skip to toolbar