This is a green skirt. I bought it from a small shop in China when I was a high school student. This label of brand was took off for a long time and I couldn’t remember the brand. I had this skirt for more than three years. I wore this skirt as my uniform skirt. It was made of velvet. I chose this skirt because it’s too tight for me now.
This skirt is part of my high school memories.
The second garment is a black sweater from my brother which he accidentally left here during his last visit. It is a very simple sweater without any patterns or decorations. It’s made of cotton and it’s from H&M. This sweater is really big for me to wear.
First step: taking apart the first garment:
Second step: I trace the pieces of the green skirt on the pattern paper, and draw dashes and label the lines.
Third step: I took apart the second garment.
Fourth step: I cut the pattern paper and pin them to the second garment. (I realised that the fabrics from the second garment were not enough to create every piece of the first garment.)
Fifth step: I began to sewing them all together.
The final finish of the skirt:
During working on this project, The first problem I faced during the making process is the material of the second garment is less than the material of the first garment. This resulted in the skirt that I made has uneven length of the front and the back part. However, this didn’t really affect the making process and add a sense of uniqueness to the skirt. The second problem that I faced during the process is sewing up the hem of the garments. It’s really thick at the edge which resulted in the entangling of the threads several times. The third problem is about the belt of the skirt. When I was sewing them together, the garment often became rolled up on one side which made the the sewing process harder. I realized that if I ironed the material before sewing them together, I could’ve solve this problem.