For my final infographic project, I wanted to incorporate something architectural and ubiquitously New York. I arrived at an infographic about the people flow and use of Grand Central Station. First, I researched the building and looked up images of maps and blueprints for visual reference.
Once I finished my research and visual dissection of GCS, I looked for inspiration on how I could lay out the building. Immediately, I wanted to make an exploded model of the complex with simplified forms. I chose an architectural, exploded poster I found online and used it as my general inspiration.
With that, I created 3 sketches with very different layouts to see which one I liked the best. Having already been inspired by the exploded model idea, I was still set on using it for my final project. The other sketches related to the paths people take to Grand Central, and a liquified graph showing the growth and shrinkage of GCS in relation to cultural appreciation, foot traffic, and tourist traffic.
Once I was set on the design, I looked for color pallets for inspiration. I decided on neutral blues, pinks, and oranges.
Before I began the infographic, I created a set of symbols and text explorations to broaden my understanding of semiotics and typography for the final project. Since I knew I was making a map-like infographic, I created symbols for things that I knew existed within Grand Central Station, such as it’s food court, train stations, and shops. My text compositions also incorporated depth and shape, which were also things I was considering integrating into the final infographic.
With all of my symbol and typology exploration completed, I began creating the final project. To create the exploded model, and get an isometric view of space, I rendered all of the shapes in SketchUp. Once everything was rendered, I traced the shapes in illustrator and began to add color, text, and symbols.
After completing the infographic project, I see all of the skills I learned from previous projects come full circle. My color composition reached a level of maturity it never had before, my simplification of form and understanding of isometric perspective grew, my treatment of text elevated, and my symbol development evolved from our exploration of semiotics in class. Overall, I’m happy to end the year with a project like this, which so clearly synthesized all of the things I learned and grew from throughout the year.