1) What will you make and why?
I’ll be making a pen that uses any India ink or pen ink. I felt it is wasteful to buy refill ink that are in plastic containers.
2) In what ways will this object be useful to YOU over 50 years of change?
As I will be using copper pipe, it will grow patina that will only complement the design. Also as I will be using tmost universal system; repair and replacement will be easy. (https://www.jetpens.com/Schmidt-FH241-Fountain-Pen-Nib-Fine/pd/14479)
3) What specific event(s) of environmental change will it help you navigate?
EPA says Americans dispose 1.6 billion pens a year(http://www.wehatetowaste.com/disposable-pen/) that is about 50 pens a year. It will save 2500 pens over 50 years. If we calculate based on BIC brand ball point pen, which falls in a lighter spectrum in average, it will save more than 14.5 kilograms of plastic(or about 32 lbs). http://thinkbic.com/
4) How will it be resilient (use of materials, used in more than one way etc.) and/or encourage social resiliency through its usage ?
Pen or any writing instrument will be necessary for people in emergent circumstance.
5) Is it designed for a particular place? (New York, your hometown etc.)
Design is for particular region. Below is base sketch of the design and solutions.