- Upcycling company in Jamaica, Queens
- Collect anything textile related; garments, fabric scraps, samples, cuttings
- People fill up FABSCRAP bags, call for them to pick up, then we sort by fiber
- Sort clothes by fiber and then by category
- Separate large pieces of fabric by content and color
- Remove buttons, zippers, pins, etc. from fabric
- Volunteers were able to keep anything they wanted
- Founder Jessica Schreiber started with re-fashioNYC, which is how I found out about them
- Textiles make up 6% of the city’s annual waste
- This is a great option for recycling fabric because large industrial fabric recyclers need a large amount of fabric waste that people may not necessarily have
- Currently, fabrics containing spandex or other elastic materials can’t be recycled, so they try to give those away first.
What I Learned!
- Different ways fabric can be reused
- Why it’s important for fabric to be disposed of properly rather than thrown into landfills
- I didn’t expect to enjoy it as much as I did!