I drew few sketches before start my project, I finally decided to make a constructed waterfall.
I made few plans and made some paper models to see if my idea is possible.
I wanted to make my waterfall just using trainangles
But my idea is to complicated to finish
Then I simplified my traingleses
but the result is not that attractive, therefore, I totally changed my mind, and construct my model like constructing an architecture using tetrahedrons and polygons.
I calculate all datas, and made my paper model
I wanted to show the flow and the transparency of water, so I decided to use plastic and metal as my materials.
I once tried to make my transparent part in one part, but I failed for two times, so I still make these polyhedrons separately.
Then I made the metal parts.
I combined these two parts together.
(I also add stones at the bottom, in order to make my models stands on their own)
I sanding the metal to simulate the texture of water, and make it can reflect light from different directions.
Here is my final work.
and audiences can play with it.
Subway problem solving model
My design used to solve overcrowded problem. However, I changed my idea before I make my model. I still want to upgrade the subway train, but not just to solve the overcrowded problem, but also change its environment, make passenger have a safer, bigger, and more comfortable train.
Here is my sketch and ideas.
- Pointed head. Make the train faster
- Electrical energy and maglev train. Safe more energy at the same time be faster.
- The ground and ceiling are all LED light screen. Make the space visually bigger, provide passenger with more relax environment. Also, save more energy for illuminating the train.
- Discolored glass large door. It is a strong material, let passengers know how many people inside the train, and at station, so they can move to other door. Easily fit more passengers to get in and out.
- Door at different place two sides. Help to disperse passengers.
- Foldable seats. More flexible use of the space, and help to fit more passengers at peak time.
I made this design based on many researches, and I combined some advantages in different cities’ subway systems, and elevate these ideas. For example
- I inspired by the decoration from Hangzhou’s subway system.
- The shape and the energy choice of the car is inspired by the maglev train.
- The seats design reference the New York new subway car’s design.
Here is the process of making the model
I first simply make the model using plastic board
I used different material to make doors and car body, and I used transparent plastic to show the texture of glass.
I add very thin LED to simulate the illumination condition of my design.
I did some changes after talking to the teacher
- I add one more layer to simulate how the car runs. Also It makes the platform more clear.
- I add colors on the train to define each part.
I use acrylic to create the feeling of lake, and it will have different effect with the LED light. Also colors have different meanings, so I make a diagram guide.
- Green yellow – Safety place for passengers
- Red – driving cab space
- black, dark yellow – track
In the contrast, in order to show the light effect, and the feeling of movable photo, I used markers and painted the drawing on plastic paper.
I cut out the car model
For the track, I also used combined and complex color to show the high speed of the subway. Actually, I think the track in the future should be also modern and clean. It should be maglev instead of normal metal track.
Then I connect these two part together.
Here is my final model, and my idea.
Subway problems and solutions
I once saw a photo on the internet, a man hanging between two subway cars in order to leave 157th street station. This station just faced a massive delay, and the whole station are in full capacity. All trains come in the station are full of people, therefore, this guy had to use the last resort to “get in” the train. Passengers overcrowded is always a crucial problem for nyc subway system since this is a system that “takes 8.5 million people to work, school, and to dates on Saturday night”, and a system that promote economic progress( change to data). Overcrowded passengers can cause many problems, the whole system might paralysis, and more importantly, it might cause many dangers, not just for passengers, but also MTA workers. MTA has come up with many solutions to solve this problem, one idea is to upgraded the subway cars. I do think this is one of the most efficient way to solve passengers overcrowded problem.
Here is my sketches
Ideas of upgrading the car
- change the dangerous path between two cars, and create more space for passengers.
- change the platform of the whole train,
- elevate some equipments.
- build bigger doors.
My inspiration comes from lights in the subway station, I really think all lights in the subway station were considered thoughtfully before place them: the place, the direction, and the color. Therefore, I want to express lights in a new way.
This is the sketch of my design
I want to combine white denim with eyelet together, also leave the edges of fabric be rough.
I made the pattern first
before make the big model, I made a small smaple
then make the actual size model
After making the model, I found some problems with my pattern, so I made some small changes.
- Make the shoulder strap longer for 2 inches
- Change the shape of the bottom of the bag
Here is my final model
The mini bag can be placed in different ways.
Then I place my pattern on the fabric, and cut them all, also mark some signs.
Then I practice place the zipper.
Here is my small sample of the mini bag.
before I start to sew, I overlock al eh edges, and make marks
I place my pocket before assemble all piece
Also the handle
I cross sewing the handle, in order to let it be able to handle heavy weight
also place all gromets.
assemble the bag
and iron it order to make inside part be flat and clean, also easy to sew the edges
I also double sew the heading in order to make my bag be more strong
I constructed the bottom of my small bag.
Add claps in order to hold the bag tighter
Last, make rough edges, and clean all seams.
Here is my final and details