Here’s a good video tutorial on using the Zoom H1 recorder.
A few things to keep in mind when you record:
- Try to always record with headphones on so you can monitor what you are recording
- Watch your levels – if your recording is too “hot” the files will be clipped.
- Beware of hand noise! the device is very sensitive and will pick up your fingers on the recorder. This is another good reason to record with headphones on.
- Watch out for the switches on the back of the unit (Low Cut, Auto Levels) they are easy to accidentally flip and they will impact your recording.
- Beware of the wind! The mics on the recorder are extremely sensitive. Some of your units come with a wind shield made of fur, this helps diffuse the wind. You can also block the wind with foam, a scarf or other material.
Downloading your files
- With a USB cord
- With the unit powered down, use a camera USB cord to plug the Zoom into your computer. (If you don’t have a cord please let John know!)
- The Zoom will turn on automatically.
- You see the words “CARD” and “AUDIO IO” flashing. Wait a moment and it will read “USB”
- You will now see H1_SD loaded on your desktop. This is the card from the camera and it has your files on it.
- Open the folder STEREO and FOLDER 1 and transfer the files to your computer.
- When you are done You can delete the files from the card and free up space on the Zoom.
- Using the mini-SD card
- Remove the mini-SD card
- Insert the card into the SD card converter
- Insert into a card reader and remove your files.