Project 1: Dress

My brainstorming began with a bunch of sketches that were really varied to give me an idea of what I want to do.  I ended up liking the two sketches with 3 stars next to them the best, so the swatches I chose at the fabric store (Elegant Fabrics) were in relation to those designs. After talking to my teacher, I decided to go with the 60’s inspired, Shingo Sato-style short dress design, and I began to draft the pattern.

(I didn’t have a lime green marker so pretend the green and yellow cross hatches are lime green)

To begin my pattern drafting, I made a basic bodice pattern in pattern paper and took out the waist darts.

I then put that on my mannequin to see if I liked the fit so far.

After putting the pattern on the mannequin, I decided I wanted the dress to have a fuller shape on the bottom, so I added triangles to each side seam.

I decided I liked this shape, so I began drawing the Shingo Sato lines on the dress.  It was very time-consuming and difficult to figure out what lines would work so that no 2 of the same colors would touch and so the shapes I want would exist, but eventually I figured it out.

 

Then I separated the front and back so the pattern could lay flat, and I added notches and markings for where the neckline, arm holes, bottom, center front and center back were. (Not shown, pattern numbers and color numbers which were added later)

I then cut the pattern apart on the lines I drew and laid them out on the floor to see if it worked.  They did not lay flat, which made me think I did something wrong and the pattern didn’t work, but my teacher told me all I had to do was make a few cuts and adjust the pattern to add room for seam allowance and the pattern would work.

I then used the pattern I made and cut it out in muslin and assembled it.

I then tried it on my model and hemmed it according to how short I wanted it.

I then cut out the pattern in the final fabric, which was purple, green, and blue cotton lycra.  After cutting the fabric out and pinning it at the notches, I hand-basted each seam before ultimately sewing everything together.

I then started making the lining pattern.

I then cut the lining and facing patterns out in real fabric, and I included darts and put interfacing on the facing parts.

 

I then attached the lining/facing and main part of the dress together to get my final product! The back connection was done with 3 snaps.

Here is the final product:

here is the final sketch:

Leave a reply

Skip to toolbar