Class 8 – 26 March – Spring 2018: Visual Culture – afternoon class
Section: Signification + Relation; source materials and taxonomy related to an issue (Interpretation + Argument)
- Digging Deeper Into Your Taxonomy (bridge 3 part II) begin in class
- Taxonomy review
- In your LP – highlight the 10 most important questions…add any new questions that surfaced during the taxonomy peer review
- **IMPORTANT** Final studio project proposals – due 31 March at 3pm – details below and in Canvas
Homework – 2 parts, please read carefully…
Part I: due 28 March 11:59pm – submit via Canvas
Digging Deeper Into Your Taxonomy (bridge 3 part II)
Add to the LP post for your completed Taxonomy and answer the following questions:
- What location did you visit for your visual research and what did you find?
- How did the locations (museum/gallery/etc.) you visited expand/broaden/deepen your understanding of your topic? (this includes: visual, contextual, historical, material based, etc.)
- List the symbols, metaphors and visual references you put in your taxonomy and explain how/why they are relevant/important to your topic. AFTER PEER REVIEW…add the following:
- What did you learn from Monday’s peer review about your taxonomy that was new or helpful?
Part II: due this Saturday, 31 March, 3pm – submit via Canvas – IMPORTANT – Bryan and Veronica will be reviewing these Saturday afternoon beginning at 3:30pm.
Create an LP post titled “Final Studio Project Proposal IS2”
In this post, clearly state your thesis question. Include the following:
- 3 questions that address your research topic (these can be new questions or one’s from your taxonomy…as long as they are relevant).
- External resources such as visual images from other artists you find relevant and inspiring.
- Images from visual “popular” culture that you think support your thesis.
- Cultural artifacts (this could be multiple images from your taxonomy or new visual information found on a museum website, etc.).
- Relevant data collected from your research in seminar (this can be quotes or links to articles or websites, etc.) which support or reinforce your project idea.
- Any research on mediums and materials you have or plan to do/conduct. For instance, if you plan on making a sound installation, what do you anticipate you will need to research? (microphones, digital recording devices, etc.)
- Create 3 mock-up sketches of your idea (or ideas) in your journal/sketchbook (can be done digitally) and include them in this LP post