Level: Summer ESL+M/ ESL low-intermediate to intermediate
Language Focus: Sound vocabulary +creative writing + future tense and subjunctive verbs (imagined actions)
Design Focus: Sound experience + sound recording/production+ digital mixing
Time: 6h. 20 min. (5h 55min. activities + 25 min. break/debrief)
Prep time: 4 hours
Starting with a warm-up exercise, the teacher introduces the qualities of sound, found sound, environmental sounds, and human perception. Students explore the idea of future selves—of imagined self and social identities—as a central concept for creative writing and to practice future tenses and subjunctive verbs. Outsourcing sounds—in combination with field recordings and foley sound production—students learn technical skills to capture quality sounds, e.g. field recorders, microphones, editing software. The teacher introduces technical sound vocabulary to guide students in self-assessing the quality of their collected sounds and to broaden their understanding of sound as it manifests in different spaces. Students produce their final project using a time-based sound editing software.
vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person’s or animal’s ear.
“Light travels faster than sound”
“…a soundscape is defined as a space in which melodies, tunes, and riffs are received and interpreted by audiences, and in which the location of the listener shapes the interpretation of these sounds. The listener imbues the soundscape with individual meaning and relevance.”
Heiner Stahl, Berlin – Divided City, 1945-1989
Lorelei Goude, Fall 2014Alex Joseph, Under the Shadow (trailer) sound design.
The Foley Diaries WordPress blog
- The McGurk Effect! – Horizon: Is Seeing Believing?
- Everything is a ReMix, Part 1: The Song Remains the Same
- Hearing Urban Infrastructures” Shannon Mattern, Sense and Society
- Zack Moir, “Found Sounds: Music from The Mundane”
- “Sound and The Mind” with Alex Joseph, by John Roach
- Describing Sound, vocabulary highlighted
- Fun Creative Writing Exercise
- Audition tutorials
- Audition Cheat Sheet
- TNS Sound equipment/microphones
– Opensource Fresound.org (create an account/sign-in)