- What is your system?
My system is a series of photographs and short interviews with girls on reproductive rights and birth control. I want to empower girls to feel proud of taking control over their own bodies. In the political climate that we’re in access to birth control may be limited by defunding such organizations as Planned Parenthood. At the same time by adopting the Sustainable Development Goals, the world signaled its commitment to “achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls” by 2030. Among its targets, SDG 5 specifically calls to “ensure universal access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights” and, separately, to “ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership… in political, economic, and public life”.
- Who is your audience?
The project is going to be open to the public. My audience is young females and anybody interested in the subject.
- Reflecting on the BRB SJ Hub assignment, what will you do differently with this assignment?
This time I am making the project more personal as it is connected with a subject that I feel passionate about. I researched the topic for more than a month now, which gives me more confidence in being able to execute my plan. Moreover this system seems to be more art related. I am designing not for an existing place but rather for knowledge. Sometimes art exist just for art itself, however this class is teaching me how to create socially conscious art.
- What the system is you’re designing around, and what is your point of intervention? (Are you creating a new system? Adapting or intervening with an existing one?)
I am adapting the existing one.
- What is the purpose of this system? Who and what will be impacted? How will they be impacted?
The purpose of this system is to empower young women as well as bring awareness to the topic of unmet need for contraceptives in the developing world. It will impact people who decide to participate in the project as well as the people viewing it. The goal is empowerment and bringing consciousness to the subject.
- How does this system relate to your research question?
My research question is To what extent does birth control advance women’s economic empowerment and what’s the role of globalization in it ? And my system is a series of photographs and interviews dealing with access to contraception and reproductive rights. The relationship is they both revolve around the same subject: birth control.
- What would a meaningful sample size be? How will you reach them? When and where?
My sample size is 3 to 5 as I need to know the people well enough so they can open up to me and discuss the subject and allow me to photograph them in their dorms.
- How will you ensure that they engage successfully with your prototype?
I will inform them what the project is about before I start executing the photoshoot.
- How will you document this engagement? (During? After? Required preparation?)
I will document it during the interaction both on paper and digitally using my camera.