Daylight Saving Time (DST): Kept or Repealed?
- Anecdote of the terrorist attempt in Israel failed due to an hour difference of DST
- in narrative form like a beginning of a story
- Introducing DST
- definition, historical background, original purpose, etc.
- DST beneficial vs. detrimental
Body Paragraph I: Known Benefits of the DST
- Better use of sunlight
- save artificial lights
- more leisure time after work
- decrease in crime rate
Body Paragraph II: Health Issues
- Loss of sleep (daytime sleepiness)
- circadian rhythm, insomnia, seasonal affective disorder
- increase in car accidents
- Heat attacks
- more likely to occur, epecially for older, weaker people
Body Paragraph III: Ineffectiveness of the DST
- Save energy?
- increased electricity consummption in the fall
- More light?
- not so much near the equator (transition to a different issue)
Body Paragraph IV: Outside of Europe and the US
- DST is not universal
- many countries either never tried, or tried and repealed soon after
- intially started during the wartime
- Cannot be applied in the same way
- Geographical differences (equator, climate, system)
- Ex. China – only one national time over all regions
- Rephrase the thesis
- Possible follow up question
- What could be the factor that makes us continue to observe the DST