For the daily explorations, I decided to capture and save images I come across that related back to my topic ( Gender as a form of white supremacy). These images were found on social media and taken at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
What is the System? The system is a mentoring program that focuses on counseling young homosexual men of color and providing a representation of ‘healthy’ homosexual lifestyles.
- Mentees are sourced from schools, local organizations, recommendations, and digital medias. All participants’ identities and information are confidential.
- Vetted mentors will be assigned mentees on a roll-in basis depending on the mentee’s needs, mentee/mentor compatibility and potential to guide.
- Mentors interact with mentees on a weekly basis. This interaction is done in person, digitally, and on the phone. Interactions include but are not limited to phone calls, luncheons, events, family dinners, training, etc.
- All participants in the program are offered the opportunity to participate in monthly/weekly programs that boost morale, self-love, mental health awareness, community, pride, etc. Also, they’re subject to annual mentee-mentor sessions to track progress.
- Materials (activities, videos, art, etc.) are posted on online outlets to assist mentees and those who seek guidance/representation.
Steps that are not listed
- Choosing a title that’s is welcoming to the target audience.
- Sourcing mentors. The group of mentors should be diverse men-of-color who’re stable in themselves, have seen success in their professional and personal life, 21+, adequate time management skills, etc.
- Selecting board members and sponsors who share the same views.
- Developing a mission statement that embodies the organization’s purpose.
- Deciding on the logo.
- Types of events- dating tips, social graces, self-care, body positivity, freedom of speech and sexuality, same-sex rape awareness and prevention, etc.
The research questions that’s guiding this system is ‘is gender a product of white supremacy?’. While conducting research I aim to investigate the connection between the diversion of humans in order to distribute power and dominance to a particular type of being. Through division and the implication of conflict white supremacy is able to thrive within society. I believe misogyny nurtures white supremacy thus gender was constructed to ensure white affluent men were at the top of the social hierarchy. In order to combat white supremacy, POC must unite to mend the division within the communities. The division encourages conflict, hatred, and the weakening of power. People from different groups are not always accepting of others lifestyles/cultures, numerous systems play a part in the opposition of those who’re different. A divided people cannot effectively fight their oppressors.
The system I am designing around is one that supports the division of races because of gender. This system’s point of intervention is helping to develop and guide individuals who will experience hostility because of their deviance to gender roles and to improve inclusion within the African-American community. I am adapting an already assisting system, but molding it to fit a new purpose. The purpose of this system is to guide young African-American homosexual men and supply them with the needed representation and resources they need to ensure a ‘healthy’ future. By offering guidance I hope to better their mental/physical health, personal relationships, and open-mindedness to lessen the impact of white supremacy.