Project 1: Tunnel Book
Project 2 (further approach to ‘utopia’): Character design
- Helps escorting people from earth to utopia
- Listens to personal stories of those who came from the earth – people come to this place after death and there’s always a tragic loss
- Talks to the guardians of hell (dystopia) to discuss how to peacefully maintain the moral world
- Protects utopia from enemies and all the exterior obstacles.
- blind but other senses are extremely developed
- Uses weapon (sword) to fight
- likes to keep things neat and tidy
3. Gardener / keeper
- Obsessed with plants
- Controls weather so that it suits best for special plant species that only lives in this space.
- Considers beauty as the most important quality than anything
As an extension of the idea ‘utopia’, I tried to add a story to the landscape by adding figures. Above are illustration pieces of the three guardians. After I finish solidifying their look and characteristics I was planning to photoshop them onto the background (tunnel book) that I created but the designing part took longer than I thought – so I decided to leave it 2D and just ended up designing the figures and their personalities. I would love to take it further and develop this idea in the future as well.
initial character design and practice drawings:
Inspiration for the gardener’s clothes:
traditional mural in a Korean temple
(the one at the very left, the pink one)