Before we did any sewing, we had to make a dress form out of a FedEx box, which would act as the shape that we had to fit our box drape shirts to. This was the process of creating the box.
This is the sloper that I ended up with after draping the shirt.
I then used the sloper to create a pattern.
Then, I sewed the shirt together in muslin.
Next, using the pattern that I used for the muslin prototype, I sewed the box drape shirt in the final fabric, which was a cotton textile with a pattern on it.
This is how I decorated my box dress form:
In the end, I feel like I learned a lot about how to drape and how to pleat/dart. I have made darts before, but I have never tried so hard to manipulate them into moving where I want them to move. I also learned that pleating like we did is a way to make the bust of a shirt, which I never knew.
At the beginning of the semester, we highlighted words that we knew in a list of words relating to sewing. Then, a couple weeks ago, we did the same thing and compared how much we have learned in the class so far to how much we knew coming in. I came into this class knowing a little bit about sewing and I was semi-confident in my abilities to sew, however I was really excited and eager to learn more. I think the transformation in the list of words is a good representation of my growth throughout the semester and I think I have learned a lot, even about the things that I had highlighted in the first one.