Going along with the concept established in assignment 2, I wanted to explore the concept of nested geometry in a way that was not present in my previous model. This time I figured it would be more interesting if the nested geometry was for the most part hidden, aside from a single view in the model. This could be achieved in assignment 3 because the composition in mind was whole to part.
One major decision in the design process was how visible the subtracted space will be, as well as how much of the cube will be “filled”.
What resulted was this model:
This view is the crucial moment of the model
After building a relief model for assignment 1, I wanted to pursue a form with clear intention from the start rather than finding intent later on in the design process. This being said, assignment 2 tasked us with exploring the spatial relationships that can be established through differences in planes. I wanted to continue exploring the creation of voids seen in assignment 1, but less obviously and in a more implied manner.
Since the confines of the assignment were initially 12in x 12in x 12in, I wanted to use cubic elements in the design, which can be seen in this sketch;
Since this assignment was largely part to whole in composition, I wanted use shapes that are “cut-short” in areas to imply that there was a nested cube within their volumes.
The 12×12 result;
The second phase tasked us with downsizing this form into a 6 x 6 x 6 cube, which allowed me to create a planar difference in the areas “touched” by this nested geometry using a darker shade of paper;
Plans and elevations;
The hatched areas being the areas where there’s dark paper.
At the start of the semester, we were tasked with drawing grids and shapes over 12 pieces of vellum.
Starting with grid lines such as this, I created shapes by connecting the endpoints of certain lines.
With this process, I would end up with shape clusters such as this. To address their overlap, I decided I would create fainter lines to give of the appearance of depth.
One major problem with these drawings was a lack of control and more importantly, a lack of direction.
After we created these shapes, the assignment then shifted to the creation of a relief model made from basswood sticks.
This was my first attempt;
One clear problem with this iteration was the lack of substance and the overuse of ornamentation. The varying thickness of stripes and interlacing elements don’t really express an idea or discipline.
With this in mind, I stripped the model of it’s unnecessary elements in order to find it’s basic form, and the core of the structures concept. This concept was narrowed down to “Intersection”, as the drawings in the first part of the assignment focused on the relationship between intersecting shapes.
After being stripped of extraneous ornamentation the design became more concise
Clearly demonstrating a shape intersecting with another.
With the act of intersecting creating a void within the other shape