Focusing on a region in NYC: Chelsea

For this project, we were instructed to choose an area within New York City, research its past, and create a composition that represents this past.

The first step was to research the history of Chelsea’s area:

I noticed that a very prominent part of Chelsea location was the Highline, which provided transport for freight and other materials that progressed Chelsea’s industry in the past, but it is now a walkway and park. With this in mind I wanted to provide a window into the past of the Highline, and therefore Chelsea’s past.

This was the final product:

 The white spot was intended to serve as an area I could later draw on top of, I unfortunately left my printed final in my portfolio at my dorm, but I can offer a description. The white space was filled in with pencil to be a modern person, looking back at the workers and labor that took place on the Highline (which were also added physically to the final print with pencil).

Mapping the Inferno

For this assignment, we were tasked with creating maps of an area from a work of literature. Specifically, the assignment was called a “map and a window”, as maps provided individuals with a frame of reference as to where they were, since it’s a fundamentally smaller piece of two dimensional space that represents a much larger area of three dimensional space, it forms this sort of view into an “escape”.

My process is largely explained in this slideshow:

Dante presentation_krupinski_john-27dt1wg

One and Three Still Life

The purpose of this assignment was to construct a still life drawing and render it realistically, then subvert the objectivity of the rendering by abstracting it.

The first step for this assignment was to choose our objects to render, I chose my hat with my highschool’s initials on it, a Gameboy advanced, a ring, an apple, and my s’well water bottle.


after the process of finding objects, we were tasked with organizing our objects into certain positions in order to produce an interesting still life. I came up with two configurations,

 but settled on the latter,

After we rendered our still life into a drawing, the next step was to bring a scan of it into Photoshop and abstract it. Now I don’t think I did spectacular job in completely abstracting it to the point of no recognition, as parts of the original still life are still visible. My intent with this image was to change the dull colors of my objects and replace them with vibrant ones, while also selecting areas with the circular selection tool to displace parts of the image.  







The last step was to create a textual piece that said something about the objects while still being visually interesting. When picking my objects I didn’t have any sort of narrative or constructed theme behind them, however I was able to apply a scheme of relevance to them. I originally wrote it in my sketchbook,

 but expanded on the thought when typing it in Photoshop.

In total, with all 3 combined, the final product looked like this.

project 3_final_krupinski_pdf-1j17et5