Subway problem solving model
My design used to solve overcrowded problem. However, I changed my idea before I make my model. I still want to upgrade the subway train, but not just to solve the overcrowded problem, but also change its environment, make passenger have a safer, bigger, and more comfortable train.
Here is my sketch and ideas.
- Pointed head. Make the train faster
- Electrical energy and maglev train. Safe more energy at the same time be faster.
- The ground and ceiling are all LED light screen. Make the space visually bigger, provide passenger with more relax environment. Also, save more energy for illuminating the train.
- Discolored glass large door. It is a strong material, let passengers know how many people inside the train, and at station, so they can move to other door. Easily fit more passengers to get in and out.
- Door at different place two sides. Help to disperse passengers.
- Foldable seats. More flexible use of the space, and help to fit more passengers at peak time.
I made this design based on many researches, and I combined some advantages in different cities’ subway systems, and elevate these ideas. For example
- I inspired by the decoration from Hangzhou’s subway system.
- The shape and the energy choice of the car is inspired by the maglev train.
- The seats design reference the New York new subway car’s design.
Here is the process of making the model
I first simply make the model using plastic board
I used different material to make doors and car body, and I used transparent plastic to show the texture of glass.
I add very thin LED to simulate the illumination condition of my design.
I did some changes after talking to the teacher
- I add one more layer to simulate how the car runs. Also It makes the platform more clear.
- I add colors on the train to define each part.
I use acrylic to create the feeling of lake, and it will have different effect with the LED light. Also colors have different meanings, so I make a diagram guide.
- Green yellow – Safety place for passengers
- Red – driving cab space
- black, dark yellow – track
In the contrast, in order to show the light effect, and the feeling of movable photo, I used markers and painted the drawing on plastic paper.
I cut out the car model
For the track, I also used combined and complex color to show the high speed of the subway. Actually, I think the track in the future should be also modern and clean. It should be maglev instead of normal metal track.
Then I connect these two part together.
Here is my final model, and my idea.